‘The Ghoda Cycle Project’ is a visual document of the myriad avatars of bicycles in the rural and urban landscape of India.
The linchpin of ‘The Ghoda Cycle Project’ is to lay emphasis on the framework, structure, decoration and design of
the cycles of India. Ergonomically these cycles may not be the best examples of bicycle design, but they have the strength to carry the hopes and aspirations of a big section of the Indian population. No wonder they are called ghoda* cycles. Basic necessities like cooking gas, milk, bread, newspapers and tiffin are delivered to out homes on a cycle. And then there are the mobile cycle shops that sell, among other things, tea vegetables, waist belts, icecreams and SIM-cards. Its a display not only of sustainable living but also how a section of the society in India make a livelihood out of it. With customization, adornments, embellishments and a bit of jugaad** these cycles start developing their own unique personality, reflecting the occupation and background of the rider. And also collectively adds life and charm to the streets of India, where more than 20,000*** cycles are manufactured everyday. The following pages are a collection of my observations and drawings of these omnipresent cycles of India.
- Sameer Kulavoor
*Sturdy, durable and heavy, iron double-bar and four-bar roadster bicycles affectionately compared to horses and nicknamed : Stallion-cycle (Ghoda-Cycle)
**Jugaad colloquially means a creative idea, or a quick workaround to get through commercial, logistic or law issues, As such, the Jugaad movement has gathered a community of enthusiasts, believing it to be the proof of Indian bubbling creativity, or a cost-effective way to solve the issues of everyday life (source: wikipedia).
***The Indian company - Hero cycles - were declared as the largest manufacturer of bicycles in the world by the ‘Guiness book of world records’ producing 18,500 bicycles per day.
Original Drawings : Feltpen on A4 sheet (8.3inch X 11.7inch) Digitally reproduceable on canvas/paper - 3feet X 3feet.
21 Notes/ Hide
- chb-a-dub reblogged this from ramalamafafafa
- ramalamafafafa reblogged this from sameerkulavoor
- valutime reblogged this from evanfleischer
- tocaconlosojos likes this
- carpentrix likes this
- pokemontrainerserena likes this
- evanfleischer reblogged this from smmrzk
- bikehype reblogged this from smmrzk
- slimmann likes this
- designingontea likes this
- moonkofficial reblogged this from smmrzk
- bikarlan likes this
- smmrzk reblogged this from macaroni-ho and added:
- smmrzk likes this
- macaroni-ho reblogged this from estudioartes
- bsandw reblogged this from sameerkulavoor and added:
- estudioartes reblogged this from sameerkulavoor
- estudioartes likes this
- emissions likes this
- bronzedraconis2808 likes this
- sameerkulavoor posted this